Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Two Way Tango Prayer

Lord give me the strength to make it another day.
The road is growing longer and harder.
With each passing minute my patience becomes thinner.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
These, your words, your law, your message.
I try to live by these words you have spoken
I try to be the best person I can be for your glory
And for the good of my fellow man,
But what happens when the world does not comply?
What of those who treat others with no respect?
Is this how they would have others treat them?
What happens when patience runs out, and indignation takes hold?

I do not claim perfection.
I am the picture of imperfection.
I am flawed, and I have quirks which are not so becoming,
But I try my best to be the best I can be.

If I speak, there will be confrontation and words of anger
Such things I can not take.
My depression and anxiety worsens with each day that passes.
Resolution of an unspoken war seems impossible.

Lord, give me strength to make it to another day
Give me the strength to keep my cool in the face of anger
Keep me from the brink of madness
Keep me from the brink of insanity.
Deliver me from this hostile place and let me have peace once more.

The days become longer, and my place more uncertain.
These games mortals play, so juvenile, pointless really.
What happened to a world of mutual respect?
Keep me from becoming just as bad as the world.
Help me take the higher road.

I fear my mind to be lost should no resolution come soon.
So, Father in heaven, give me the strength to make it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About The Artistic Poet: Cristina Marrero

My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
I'm a Latinx, Queer/Non-Binary writer born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I transformed into Diaspora when I was transplanted onto the mainland and have lived in Florida ever since. Before coming out as Transgender, I wrote The River - The Unsung Love Story and published a book of poems initially released through Lulu.com under their birth name. Shortly after that, I took a break from writing, leaving the series unfinished. Today I continue writing under my chosen name with a focus on LGBTQ+ intersectional characters for Young Adult audiences.