Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lights & Show

The lights come up,
I hear my cue.
The nerves swell,
My breath deepens.

I lunge myself across the stage,
Take a breath.
My first line spoken.
Laughter heard.

I am doing well,
I am doing great.
I hear the audience.
I shake myself free from the terror.

The best feeling alive,
next to hearing her heart beat.
After the show,
I wait for my friends.

One by one they come,
They say "Good job."
I look, but I know.
You were not here tonight.
The only person I actually hoped would show.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of show were you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a combo of Aesope Fables and Grim fairytales called Story Theatre.

    ReplyDelete

About The Artistic Poet: Cristina Marrero

My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
I'm a Latinx, Queer/Non-Binary writer born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I transformed into Diaspora when I was transplanted onto the mainland and have lived in Florida ever since. Before coming out as Transgender, I wrote The River - The Unsung Love Story and published a book of poems initially released through Lulu.com under their birth name. Shortly after that, I took a break from writing, leaving the series unfinished. Today I continue writing under my chosen name with a focus on LGBTQ+ intersectional characters for Young Adult audiences.