Friday, November 20, 2009

The Gir Behind the Fabric Cape

She's alone, and she does not know where to go.
She's in pain, but she tries to make it so no one sees.
She's hurt, and she's slowly dying.
She takes care of everybody,
But who's left to take care of me?

I am the selfish part of this woman.
I want to be known for my good deeds.
I am the one who wants to be held at night.
The one who wants to go home with a woman.
The one who just wants to be her black knight.

I am the selfish part of this woman.
I am the one who wants a friend.
I am the one who needs a companion.
The one who is tired of baring a grin.

She runs to different places to hide the grief she bears.
She runs and hides, hoping no one will see.
It’s becoming harder to be the grief bearer.

Take me in your arms,
Just hold me close.
Don’t let go…
I don’t care if I can breathe.
She will never ask,
But I need to know,
Is there still a Superman left out there for me?

See, I am Clark Kent.
She is the one who flies through the streets…
Seemingly invincible,
But kryptonite will knock her right off her feet.

I know my weaknesses.
I know my flaws.
But I just want someone to love me
For just being me.

Everyone loves a Superman,
But no one really sees
The Clark Kent behind the desk…
The girl behind the woman,
Who is dying for a moment of peace.

She is slowly dying
Behind that fabric cape.
No Lois Lane to hold her close,
To let her cry
When everyone she's saved
Just says "Thank you,"
Then waves goodbye.
Leaving her alone,
With a thousand and one thoughts on which to think.

She spends all day saving others lives,
But no one ever sees,
The girl behind the fabric cape
Has needs like you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About The Artistic Poet: Cristina Marrero

My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
I'm a Latinx, Queer/Non-Binary writer born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I transformed into Diaspora when I was transplanted onto the mainland and have lived in Florida ever since. Before coming out as Transgender, I wrote The River - The Unsung Love Story and published a book of poems initially released through Lulu.com under their birth name. Shortly after that, I took a break from writing, leaving the series unfinished. Today I continue writing under my chosen name with a focus on LGBTQ+ intersectional characters for Young Adult audiences.